Re: version attribute of svg element

From: Manuel Strehl <svg@manuel-strehl.de>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 08:53:31 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
>> Can the version attribute validly be absent in an SVG 1.1 document? Is
>> your answer documented in the SVG spec anywhere?
>
> I would say it is not required, but I don’t believe it is documented
> anywhere.

If the SVG 1.1 DTD is of any authoritative answer here, there it's
defined as:

     <!ATTLIST %SVG.svg.qname;
         version %Number.datatype; #FIXED '1.1'

(https://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg-structure.mod)

Remembering from the Olden Days that #FIXED in DTDs means, that an
#FIXED attribute is not literally required in the XML source, the DTD
says you can omit it.

-Manuel