version attribute of svg element

From: Sairus Patel <sppatel@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 23:36:34 +0000
To: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>
re. https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#SVGElementVersionAttribute

Can the version attribute validly be absent in an SVG 1.1 document? Is your answer documented in the SVG spec anywhere?

I’m aware that https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/version says the attribute is “purely advisory and has no influence on rendering or processing.” Is this a way of saying that the attribute can validly be absent in an SVG 1.1 document?

I’m also aware that the attribute has been removed in SVG 2.

The context: We are crafting a few SVG doc examples for the SVG-in-OpenType specification. I’d like not to include the version attribute (smaller SVG docs are a good thing).

Thanks,
Sairus