Re: SVG2 Accessibility User Agent Implementation Guide

From: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:54:07 -0400
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, dschulze@adobe.com, SVG WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>, SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>, janina@rednote.net
On 31/03/2014 2:51 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Could you explain why the SVG WG and PFWG cannot, like other groups
> do, publish the document jointly, or how that would be worse if the
> goal is to maximise chances that the result can be implemented
> royality-free?
One very simple reason is a matter of chartered deliverables: the
current SVG charter [1] does not include the proposed work in its
deliverables, while the pending PF charter [2] does.

Beyond that, we have found that the process is more complicated when
other groups co-publish documents. The model that has worked best for PF
is to have co-approval but not co-publishing.

We are still in the stages of exploring formation of a task force, so we
have before us a proposal from the PFWG. If the SVG WG feels strongly
that it should co-publish, we can have that discussion. We probably
would want to take it to a joint telecon to hash it out. If the decision
were to go that way, I think the SVG WG would need to add the
deliverable to its charter, so that may be a consideration.

Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/11/SVG_rechartering/SVG-WG-charter.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2012/10/draft-pfwg-charter