Re: script tags fire in a switch element

In this case it's for a loading spinner animation. The rectangle was merely
to show an easily understandable test case. Yes, I can put the script
element inside a g to make sure the document validates, but that misses the
issue where the nested script still executes.

I already have graphical fallbacks to raster graphics if SVG is not
supported. The issue at hand is that IE9 and above indeed support SVG; they
simply don't support SMIL. Rather than burden every SVG-capable browser
with 6KB of JavaScript when the original SMIL asset is just over 500 bytes,
I wanted a way to conditionally load the script only when the SMIL features
were missing. From what I'm gathering, this is not possible, and my only
viable options are user agent detection on the server side or a stub

The accessibility provisions do not apply here as the SVG already has
alternate text. In addition when used as a CSS background image, alt text
becomes moot anyway. The crux of matter is that IE9 and above can do
everything I require, they just require one additional asset to do it—an
additional asset that is 10x larger than the file it acts upon—and I would
prefer not to load in other browsers if I can avoid it. Yet falling back to
descriptive text for all IE versions is completely out of the question as
that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Cheers,

Miles Elam