Re: behaviour of lengthAdjust="spacing" when glyphs are wider than the textLength=""

Hi David,

David Dailey wrote:
> I've not looked at how implementations differ, but it seems that the
> most intuitive thing would be to have the displayed textLength be
> either the user-specified number or the width of the longest glyph in
> the text.

We decided in the call today to clamp textLength="" at the width of the
longest glyph.  The resulting behaviour of this is for (in LTR text)
each glyph to have their right edges aligned.

> Realistically though, the cases I've seen where people crowd and
> superimpose characters into small rectangles are usually with
> monograms and logos, and the characters usually intertwine rather
> than superimpose. Sometimes, the "profile" of superimposed characters
> leaves enough distinctiveness that the individual glyphs remain
> identifiable, but if the space provided were less than the widest
> character, it most likely is a mistake.

Indeed.  So that behaviour should still remain possible by using the
glyph positioning attributes, or by extreme 'letter-spacing' values.

> Another context I can imagine would be where someone puts all the
> glyphs in separate tspans and then animates the visibility  of those,
> to provide an effect of "spelling" out the phrase, on character at a
> time, in place.

That should still be possible.  (Not sure that textLength="" impacts on
that?)