Re: SVG Feature Request: Toggle text selection sensitivity

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Rick:
>> So, this is an answer, and it invalidates the problem presented by my
>> use case.  I'm straining my brain to think of a case where it wouldn't
>> suffice.  No luck.
>
> I think there are certainly situations where you want to have some text
> that responds to pointer events but not by performing selection.  The
> usual way people solve this is to set pointer-events="none" on the text
> element and place an invisible rectangle above/below it to capture the
> mouse events.  This isn’t ideal because you do not always know how big
> the text will be, depending on font fallback and so on.

I agree.  I don't like transparent event traps, they have a dirty hack
feel to them.  I bring up a transparent rect I call a 'touchscreen'
(for lack of a better term) covering the whole window for capturing
screen wide drag events, and that works well.  But using transparent
elements hither and yon falls into the 'Find a better way' pile.

--
Cheers!
Rick