Re: SVG and MIDI

Hi James,

> I'm an expert in music notation with a background in writing music scores.
> Briefly: I was Karlheinz Stockhausen's copyist 1974-2000.

Pleased to meet you and glad to have you here!

The evoked audio extensions which have been proposed or implemented so far
relate to sound in the multimedia sense, i.e. dealing with sound formats as
packets to be downloaded and then reproduced with some sort of
synchronization. The type of extension you are suggesting relates to music
and its reproduction using synthesized sounds and/or samples from the sound
card's onboard library, through an interface with the system sound driven by
MIDI events described in the XML markup. The difference may not be so
evident for the non initiated.

If I understand, you are proposing  an extension for SVG that would
graphically render the score from the information in the markup. If you
simply define another XML dialect you will have to provide a transformation
engine (I'm not fluent with this) and that would necessarily remain rather
confidential, while instead I suspect you would like such extension to be
implemented natively. If this is right then this is the right place for such
a proposal, as all the implementers have a presence here.

Then comes the question of the execution of the score. You say that your
Assistant Performer software could easily integrate this new format. Do I
read you well if I say that you would like this engine to possibly become a
plugin or, better, be implemented natively or taken as a model for the
reproduction?

I checked Assistant Performer and found that its timing controls, pedal
marks, dynamics and sliding dynamics are excellent. I'm not crazy about the
interpretation of articulations. Overall it's very convincing.

Apart from the natural vocation of interpreting scores, this implemented
interface would allow native and active control over music (not to be
confused with audio) in all the possible situations where it is commonly
used, but also allow aleatory composition -I'm sure you're well used to this
;-) - through scripted (ECMAscript) algorithms, interpreted by the computer,
that could be used as incidental music. And more. Lots of real fun.

If this is the sense of your proposal and if it encounters some expressed
interest from officials at this stage I'll be glad to give you some support.
If I've got it all wrong please ignore.

Best regards,
Domenico Strazzullo