Re: SVG 1.1 and CSS3 Units and Values

Hi, Harel-

As a general rule, the SVG WG is very amenable to patching up these
holes between SVG and CSS.  Thanks for pointing them out!

Comments inline...

Harel Williams wrote (on 11/16/09 8:08 PM):

> As you are probably already aware, the CSS3 Values and Units Module
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/) defines a whole bunch of unit
> values that are not defined in SVG 1.1 Second Edition specification.
> I am guessing this is probably because SVG 1.1 predates much of the
> CSS3 work (I believe the SVG Basic Types chapter references CSS2 for
> units and values). It seems like it would be very useful to have
> access to the new CSS3 units in SVG 1.1, and would introduce few, if
> any, technical/compat issues (feel free to correct me if I'm totally
> off here). These units include:

I think this spec should define these units a little more precisely, FWIW.

> * Angle
>  o turn (not specified in SVG 1.1)

I could see this being particularly useful in some rotation animations.

> * Relative Units
>  o gd (not specified in SVG 1.1)
>  o rem (not specified in SVG 1.1)
>  o vw (not specified in SVG 1.1)
>  o vh (not specified in SVG 1.1)
>  o vm (not specified in SVG 1.1)
>  o ch (not specified in SVG 1.1)
>
> Are there plans to add these units into the SVG 1.1 Second Edition
> specification, or is this going to be primarily considered as part of
> SVG 2.0?

We have no plans to introduce this into SVG 1.1.  I would expect that
any specifying needed would happen in SVG 2.0.

>Are SVG implementers planning to add support for these unit
> values as part of their SVG 1.1 implementations anyways/additively?
> Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I leave that to the implementers to answer... I don't know their plans
vis-a-vis CSS3 Values and Units.

I don't believe that it violates the spirit (or even the letter) of the
SVG specification for an implementation which supports these in CSS to
also do so in SVG, but if there are specific details that need to be
worked out ("gd" may be tricky, for example), we will try to do that in
SVG 2.0 (or the relation to SVG could also be explicitly stated in CSS3
Values and Units... I'm not fussy).

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs