Re: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal

On Mar 11, 2009, at 03:31, Dailey, David P. wrote:

> Then if someone posts that snippet of code on web pages and authors
> start trying to use it in their cell phones, then cell phone makers
> are going to have to build full-fledged HTML parsers into their
> little hand held boxes to accommodate all the wild code, and that
> defeats the value of SVG-Tiny.

When users want to browse to the same pages on their phones that they
browse to on their desktops, the value of mobile profiles is defeated.

A phone that neither hosts an HTML parser nor a thin client for a
distributed browser (e.g Skyfire or Opera Mini) is useless for
browsing the Web. Moreover, an HTML parser is pretty small compared to
the other parts of a browser or even an SVG rendered.

My phone hosts two full browsers and two thin clients for distributed
browsers--and my phone is the least expensive 3G S60 phone there was
on the market when I bought it in 2007. Moreover, pretty much any
phone that has Internet connectivity these days can host the Opera
Mini client if it can't host a full browser or the Skyfire client.

> If it doesn't break HTML, then it seems to me it'd be good to keep
> SVG strict, at least until programmable matter becomes cheap (then
> we'll have Crays in our fingernail polish right?).

Keeping SVG in text/html stricter than HTML in text/html involves more
code--not less code. It's simpler if the tokenizer runs the same
machine instructions regardless of the "in foreign" state of the tree
builder.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi