Re: dilemma of cache: two types of image

Hi, Jonathan-

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote (on 7/28/08 9:15 AM):
> David,
>
> copyright is a red-herring, all the images we use are public domain.

Copyright is relevant to the larger discussion, as not all images are
public domain, even if yours are.  We have to solve the general case in
designing a language.

> furthermore those people who provide images in feeds, presumably
> understand and intend them for repurposing by 'others'.
> afaik there are no feed readers that display images.
>
> similar arguments apply to your ethical case.

Actually, David's post was very helpful in scoping the range of use cases.

> the fact is that our users and many people would benefit from being able
> to simply embed these types of information into their own resources.
> hence the development of feeds...

You may be right, but it's hard to tell without more data.  Can you
please outline some concrete use cases and requirements, preferably
citing existing practice, so we can work on the technical aspects of
just what would need to happen to satisfy those use cases?

Since you are serving as the advocate for what you term "naive users",
and want to get them more involved in setting standards, I suggest that
you engage them directly in finding what they do today, what they want
to be able to do, and what they feel is blocking them from doing it.
It's probably not reasonable to push them on technical details, so
anecdotal examples from their perspective is probably enough for us to
drill into technical solutions.  Please indicate where the use cases are
identified by your constituents, and where you have made inferences and
conclusions based on your observation.

There's no need to be overly formal in your report (though that may be
useful for you to reuse it for your own purposes), but thoroughness will
help us to produce the best solution.

Thanks for identifying a possible use case and bringing it to our
attention.  If we find that the data merits it, this could form part of
the basis for a module.  It may be that we find the use cases can be
adequately solved with other means or other technologies, so your input
won't be wasted even if the SVG WG doesn't end up specifying anything,
since hopefully you will have gotten some solution.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF