SVG ACID Tests (was [Fwd: ACID3 test submissions])

Hi, Jeff-

Jeff Schiller wrote (on 1/21/08 11:34 AM):

> My own thoughts to the SVG WG:  I think it's great to get some
> SVG-specific tests into the Acid3 test, and I'm glad this was done.
> While Acid tests are no replacement for good test suites (which SVG
> now has), they are good for symbolic representation of compliance to a
> set of features, basically used as something like a marketing tool to
> get competing browser implementations working towards something.
> Since SVG is so huge, might I suggest that the SVG WG come up with
> their own SVG Acid tests.  Something like (thinking out loud here):
>
> - SVG Acid 1 Test - HTML harness covering most of the static SVG Tiny
> 1.1 features (simple shapes, stroke, fill, colors, text, text
> selection, object/iframe/image inclusion, CSS background-image using
> SVG)
>
> - SVG Acid 2 Test - Test of SVG 1.1 declarative animation (could show
> the test running next to a chunk of video or an animated GIF/PNG to
> compare compliance)
>
> - SVG Acid 3 Test - Test of SVG 1.1 Basic features (gradients,
> rectangular clipping, opacity, text on a path)
>
> - SVG Acid 4 Test - Test of SVG 1.1 Full features (DOM, filters, etc)
>
> - SVG Acid 5 Test - Test of SVG Tiny 1.2 features (uDOM, Events,
> solidColor, video, audio)
>
> Constructing an Acid test is a bit of an art, I think - since you have
> to pack a whole bunch of features into an ultra-simple representation.
>  Again, these Acid tests should supplement the full test suites and
> act, not as a replacement, but as only a symbolic nature of an
> implementation's level of compliance.  In fact, the tests can include
> a disclaimer with links to the full test suite.

We've had discussions in both the SVG and CDF WGs about creating
specialized ACID tests of that type, but due to limited resources,
haven't had much chance to follow through.  I think your breakdown
sounds very promising.

This is something we'd like to do with help and input from the
community, including the implementors.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI