[Fwd: Re: Text-Area : Adding new attribut "anchor-position"]

here is Kevin Fleischers reply - I think it did not make it to the list ...

Subject: Re: Text-Area : Adding new attribut "anchor-position"
From:    "Kevin Fleischer" <Kevin.Fleischer@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
Date:    Wed, February 6, 2008 12:01 pm
To:      "Andreas Neumann" <a.neumann@carto.net>

Thanks for your replay.

I'm not sure if this is the same. The description in the specs is a little
bit defuse for me. What display-align means is not clear to me at all.

What I would like to see is, to speek in a picture, a (invisible) frame
that can be put with his anchor point to an arbitrary position in the SVG
area. That would enable the SVN users to position object descriptions i.e.
on diagramms or models on objects. When you can specify the anchor point
of the "frame" directly, you don't need to calculate the position of the
text-area, but you can use the position of the object to describe and set
the description left, right or on top of that objekt.

If you can do this with those other properties I'm fine with that. But the
description should be made better (maybe a picture helps).

regards,
Kevin

> Hello Kevin,
>
> Thank you for your feedback on the SVG Tiny 1.2 specification.
>
> Did you have a look at the text-align and display-align attributes? It
> seems to me that what you propose (except the coordinate/coordinate
> case) can be handled by the combination of these two attributes. Here is
> also a little illustration illustrating the inline- and block
> progression-properties.
>
> For example what you propose as "middle-center" would be
> text-align="center" and display-align="center".
>
> This is already implemented in a beta of Opera 9.5, available from
> http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ - you can test it and report
> potential bugs.
>
> Please tell us if that satisfies your requirement?
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas
>
> Kevin Fleischer wrote:
> > I have read the "text in an area" part of the document. I did not see
a posibility to set the text-area anchor point.

> > I suggest to add a new attribut to the new text-area tag.
> >
> > 'anchor-point'
> >     Value:   	auto | top-left | top-center | top-right | middle-left |
middle-center | middle-right | bottom-left | bottom-center |
bottom-right | inherited
> >     Initial:   	auto
> >     Applies to:   	'textArea'
> >     Inherited:   	yes
> >     Percentages:   	N/A
> >     Media:   	visual
> >     Animatable:   	yes
> >     Computed value:   	Specified value, except inherit
> >
> > The "anchor-point" property specifies where the anchor point of a
text-area is located. The value "auto" is for left-to-right text
identical to "top-left".
> > The position specified by the "x" and "y" property of the "text-area"
define the position of that anchor point.

> > A optional value of "(<coordinate>,<coordinate>)" should also be taken
into account. The first <coordinate> would specify a x-offset to the
"auto" anchor x-position, where the second <coordinate> does the same
for the y-position.

> > Kind regards,
> > Kevin Fleischer
> > Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage
> > kostenlos testen. http://www.pc-sicherheit.web.de/startseite/?mc=022220
> >

> --
>
> --
> Andreas Neumann
> Böschacherstrasse 6
> CH-8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
> Switzerland
> Phone: ++41-44-2736668
> Email: a.neumann@carto.net
>
> Web: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
> SVG Examples: http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/
> SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/

Bis 50 MB Dateianhänge? Kein Problem!
http://www.digitaledienste.web.de/freemail/club/lp/?lp=7

--
Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland