Re: I can't seem to host svg files...

On 9/28/07, kizzume <kizzume@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for such a verbose response.  That was extremely helpful.
> I guess sometimes I just need to read something in several different ways to
> get it in my thick skull.

> Unfortunately, I already made a request which was worded in an "I have no
> idea what I'm talking about and I admit it" sort of manner before reading
> this description, but I think they'll understand just out of svg and mime
> type being metioned.  Hopefully. ;)
>
> Thanks again for such a verbose response. :)

Well, it is good to know why things happen.  Your server administrator
should understand what you want.  I looked over my post and I made a
couple silly errors (as I do when I don't proof)

> Rick-2 wrote:
> >

> > On 9/28/07, kizzume <kizzume@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Okay, that's starting to make some more sense.  Somewhat.  If the
> >> filename
> >> has no meaning, then how does any file get recognized as anything?  No, I
> >> guess I'm more confused than ever now.
> >
> > Consider this, if you are generating dynamic content, there is no
> > file.  How does the browser know what it is?
> >
> > The content header.
> >
> > Actually, in the case of files, mime types are used by the browser to

The above should read used by the server, not the browser.

> > look at the file extention and report to the browser what is coming in
> > the content header.  In the case of dynamic content, the server
> > program that generates the content knows what the content is, it
> > should, it's generating it, so it sets the content header itself.  You
> > don't see the content header because it isn't part of the document, it
> > is the header that tells the client what kind of document is coming so
> > it can decide if it will even accept it in the first place, and if so,
> > what to do with it.  You want it to display an SVG image, so the
> > client has to know that one is coming.
> >
> > The bottom line is that the server does look at the file extension for
> > static documents, then uses the mime type to determine what the
> > content is.
> >
> > The svg mime type is image/svg+xml, this is what is set in the content
> > header, what is set in the mime types table is this:
> >
> > image/svg+xml       svg svgz
> >
> > What are svg and svgz?  File extensions.  The mime type that everyone
> > keeps telling you to get set is how the server translates the file
> > extension to a document type.  But if it isn't there it can't.  If you

That should be content type.  I believe the rest is fairly accurate,
if it isn't, I'm sure we will find out.