Re: [Inkscape-user] Equivalent to Illustrator's Gradient Mesh?

On Friday, May 18, 2007, 7:10:17 PM, MenTaLguY wrote:

M> To do right, it's something we need some support from the SVG
M> folks on;

Yes; and (as I said to you in Montreal at LGM2) there has been interest in this previously and continues to be, albeiit currently on the back burner.

Its been in the ageing requirements document for a long time:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-SVG2Reqs-20010803.html#req-fill

Last time around we were looking at Coons patches, ie a mesh of elements each made from four beziers. This gives good results but there is some effort needed to specify it well and encode it in a satisfactory manner.

A simpler trimesh, where each vertex has a color, would also be a big improvement over the current linear and radial gradients.

For earlier discussion see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003Jan/0082.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Jul/0085.html

In the latter one, Jon Ferraiolo suggested that the feature was not used much in existing tools which have it. i would be interested to hear from folks who do use it, and also from folks who don't have access to it and laboriously create multi-layer simulations of it.

M>  the minimum requirement is simply triangle mesh gradients
M> in SVG; they would be easy to implement and accelerate in hardware,

Yes - increasingly, even mobile devices have hardware support for this.

M> and the other mesh gradient types can be simulated in terms of them without too much expense.

M> -mental

The other things we need are:

- one or two rendering implemnentors interested in doing this
- at least one authoring tool that generates it

and some work on how to present authoring such a construct to the user.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG