Re: animate symbol

Hi, Jonathan-

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:

> in the example below is there a way to change the width, height and y
> of the symbol directly?
> that is from within the symbol itself rather than from the <use>
> referencing it.
>
> more generally is there any way to reference one animate in a number
> of elements for instance via id or #url but not script?
>
> the intention in both these queries being to reduce duplication of
> animate code when a number of elements all have identical animate
> behaviour.

I believe that what you're asking for is the ability to reuse an
animation, so that it doesn't have to be defined multiple times in the
document.  In other words, you want to define an element with an
animation, and then <use> that element multiple times, and have that
animation triggered on one specific <use> element by, say, mousing over
that particular <use> (without affecting the other <use> elements that
reference the same original element).  Is this correct?

If so, I'm afraid that you cannot do that yet.  If you define an
animation in an element, and then <use> that element, the animation only
applies to that original element.  If you do trigger the animation, the
referenced element will indeed animate, but then all the <use> elements
will also, not just one instance.

Referencing and reusing animations in the same way you would do for a
gradient or a filter is a feature that I want to add to the language
(and which I talk about in my toy Behavior and Appearance Markup spec),
and I'm hopeful that it may make it into SVG Full 1.2 as a module.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI