Re: [SVGMobile12] SVG Mobile 1.2 redefines semantics of XML Events attributes

On Mon, 8 May 2006, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2006, at 07:04, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> > Requirements like:
> >
> >   4.  XML Events attributes shall only apply to the listener and
> >       handler elements.
> >
> > seem to me to redefine the semantics of attributes that are in the XML
> > Events namespace to be incompatible with XML Events.  This seems rather odd
> > to me, and precludes implementation of XML Events and SVG Mobile 1.2 in the
> > same UA.
>
> This restriction has been removed such that SVG implementations are only
> required to support XML Events attributes on those elements, but that
> they may be supported on other elements as well.

This is unacceptable to me, for what it's worth; you should not be making
SVG implementations be allowed to be non-compliant XML Events
implementations. Either you require implementations to implement XML
Events, or you don't, you don't require them to do a half-assed job and
"allow" them to do it right.

What you propose here is what SVG did with XLink, and that resulted in
basically completely ruining XLink in any UA that might in some way
implement SVG (a mess that the Mozilla guys, for one, are spending months
and months trying to get themselves out of).

Please do not do this to XML Events -- either require it, or don't. Don't
profile other people's specs.