Re: [SVGMobile12] more on data types

On Tuesday, June 27, 2006, 11:23:41 PM, Doug wrote:

DS> * match [Definition: (Of strings or names:) Two strings or names being
DS> compared MUST be identical. Characters with multiple possible
DS> representations in ISO/IEC 10646 (e.g. characters with both precomposed and
DS> base+diacritic forms) match only if they have the same representation in
DS> both strings. No case folding is performed. (Of strings and rules in the
DS> grammar:) A string matches a grammatical production if it belongs to the
DS> language generated by that production. (Of content and content models:) An
DS> element matches its declaration when it conforms in the fashion described in
DS> the constraint [VC: Element Valid].]

Or in other words, if two e-acutes are not matched (because one is a
pre-combined eacute and the other is an e with a combining acute accent)
then its pretty clear the "A" and "a" don't match.

Anne, if you wish to suggest a revision of XML which is case-insensitive
throughout, please contact public-xml-core-wg@w3.org with a
detailed proposal.

DS> In any case (no pun intended), the strict string matching is
DS> unquestionably defined in XML, so this point is not open to
DS> interpretation.

Right.

DS> It's not that simple. There are other languages and tools to attempt
DS> compatibility with, so a conservative approach to supported values
DS> converges with more specifications than a liberal one.

Specifically it converges with XSL which being written in XML, uses
case-sensitive string comparison in conformance with the
XML specification.

DS> It does look like this case is problematic. I will recommend that we
DS> remove the normative reference to HTML,

Its an informative reference, by the way.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG