Re: [SVGMobile12] Sentence describing the effect of "height" on the initial viewport is unclear

Hello www-svg,

Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> So the new wording would be (tossing in a verb in addition to the
> suggested change):
>
>    Similarly, if there are CSS-compatible height properties or
>    corresponding XSL properties on the referencing element (or rootmost
>    svg element for inline SVG content) that are sufficient to establish
>    the height of the viewport, then these positioning properties
>    establish the viewport's height; otherwise, the height attribute on
>    the 'svg' element establishes the viewport's height.
>
> ?  If so, then I think that does address my comment, more or less.
> [....]
> I guess the heart of the problem I'm having is that the dimensions of
> the viewport are determined at once, based on height and width and
> positioning properties (or it seems to me that that's how it should
> work).  Width and height are not determined separately, which is what
> the spec sounds like right now.

Agreeing with this concern, we changed the language to read as follows:

 If there are CSS width and height properties (or corresponding XSL
 properties) on the referencing element (or rootmost svg element for
 inline SVG content) that are sufficient to establish the width and
 height of the viewport, then these positioning properties establish the
 viewport's width, height, and aspect ratio.

Hopefully this conveys that width and height are determined at once.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG