Re: Request For Feedback: Traits

* Cyril Concolato wrote:
>So, what we do not like about Traits. The API currently has 3 sets of methods (see attached figure):
>- get/setAttribute(NS) methods which return the string representing the specified value.
>- get/set*Trait(NS) methods which return the typed computed value,
>- get*PresentationTrait methods which return the typed presentation value,

Thanks for this excellent feedback! I have a question though: you say
there should be only one of these methods; could you say again why
having getPresentationTrait and getAttributeNS would be problematic
in your implementation? It seems getPresentationTrait is easy as the
value is more or less directly available from the rendering tree, and
you said what getAttributeNS would return is stored in this animation
structure, so having these two access methods shouldn't be difficult,
no?

As you point out, getPresentationTrait and getTrait return the exact
same value unless animations are involved. As I pointed out earlier,
considering this I don't see use cases for getTrait, if you ever have
the strange case where you need it, you can construct the value using
getAttributeNS or (better) simply call getPresentationTrait at the
right point in time and store the value, so I'd be happy to see them
go.