Re: [SVGMobile12] uDOM attribute normalization and getAttribute

On Jan 19, 2006, at 17:33, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> In
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20051207/
> svgudom.html#Attribute_Normalization>
> the specification states that viewers are allowed to return
> normalized values
> for getAttributeNS. This conflicts with DOM Level 3 Core which
> states that it
> just returns the attribute value.

I think this is the seventh or eighth time that we get this comment,
maybe I should make an autoresponder :) See DOM Level 3 Core:

"""
The way attribute value normalization is performed by the DOM
implementation depends on how much the implementation knows about the
schema in use. Typically, the value and nodeValue attributes of an
Attr node initially returns the normalized value given by the parser.
It is also the case after Document.normalizeDocument() is called
(assuming the right options have been set). But this may not be the
case after mutation, independently of whether the mutation is
performed by setting the string value directly or by changing the
Attr child nodes. In particular, this is true when character
references are involved, given that they are not represented in the
DOM and they impact attribute value normalization. On the other hand,
if the implementation knows about the schema in use when the
attribute value is changed, and it is of a different type than CDATA,
it may normalize it again at that time. This is especially true of
specialized DOM implementations, such as SVG DOM implementations,
which store attribute values in an internal form different from a
string.
"""

That's just one quote, gotten by grepping for "normalization", IIRC
there are other parts of the spec that deal with this as well in
other variants. The DOM is a model, it's not a storage mechanism.

Please let us know shortly if this does not address your concerns,

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist