Re: [SVG] assigning to currentScale

"Jonathan Watt" <jonathan.watt@strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:432EE5DF.3070408@strath.ac.uk...
> I hope this can all be sorted out in SVGMobile12, but note we'll also need
> an errata item for SVG 1.1 before the mess that is Firefox's
> scrolling/zooming and panning can be sorted out.

I don't see what is actually broken in the spec, the spec doesn't place a
limit, placing a limit is something you're going to have to do for
implementation reasons, but that's not an actual spec problem, simply one in
your implementation.

The SVG OM is pretty clear that setting the currentTranslate etc. properties
does not raise an error, therefore you shouldn't raise an error even if you
clamp the values, the only script errors raised when working with DOM should
be those in the specification, we cannot have scripters having to catch an
error when setting things which the specification doesn't say raises an
error, it leads to utterly unreadable scripts.

Option 1 of your original 3 options doesn't violate the specification (I see
nowhere that specifically states infinite zoom/pan, although it may make not
a high performance dynamic SVG UA) and is therefore completely reasonable.
Introducing new behaviour via errata may be popular in some Working Groups,
but I really hope the SVG WG doesn't go down that road, it's a very bad
idea.

Jim.