[SVG] zoomAndPan needs clarification (was: Re: [SVG] assigning to currentScale)

Robin Berjon wrote:

 >Jonathan Watt wrote:
 >>
 >> Hi Chris,
 >>
 >> Chris Lilley wrote:

 >>> and an JW> attempt is made to assign to currentScale?
 >>>
 >>> Hmm, depends on whether zoomAndPan="disable" disables the user zoom
 >>> controls or disables zooming. I believe it disables the controls, so
 >>> zooming via script should still work. Indeed, i think the main reason
 >>> people use zoomAndPan="disable" is so that they can give a more
 >>> context-sensitive zoom interface in script (eg a map panner with a
 >>> thumbnail).
 >>

 >> I see, thanks. It might be worth a note in the errata and new specs
that
 >> makes this explicit.
 >
 > If it's not clear yes. Suggested text welcome! :)

To be honest I'd rather that the zoomAndPan attribute be deprecated.
Firefox ignores it and will continue to do so even if we implement zoom
and pan controls since we put a higher priority on user control than
author control. I see no strong case for it to even exist to be frank.
Properly written document author controls (making use of SVG events)
should be able to coexist with the UA's controls. Having said that,
here's some suggested rewording to get you started.

 From the spec.:

"float currentScale
"If "magnification" is enabled (i.e., zoomAndPan="magnify"), then the
effect is as if an extra transformation were placed at the outermost
level on the SVG document fragment"

Too me, that strongly suggests if "magnification" is disabled (i.e.,
zoomAndPan="disable"), then the effect of currentScale is *not* as if an
extra transformation were placed at the outermost level on the SVG
document fragment. Hence I'd suggest rewording along the lines of:

"The effect of this attribute is as if an extra transformation were
placed at the outermost level on the SVG document fragment, regardless
of whether "magnification" is disabled (i.e., zoomAndPan="disable")"

Also later in the spec.:

"If disable, the user agent shall disable any magnification and panning
controls and not allow the user to magnify or pan on the given document
fragment."

This isn't clear that the UA's controls are being refered to here. I'd
suggest rewording along the lines of:

"If disable, the user agent shall disable any magnification and panning
controls it provides. The document may still implement its own
magnification and panning controls by manipulating currentScale and
currentTranslate."

Regards,
Jonathan