Re: [SVG] assigning to currentScale

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Watt wrote:
> The main reason for us would be that zooming in too far results in the
> CPU maxing out and the whole UI freezing up. Zooming out too far results
> in entirely incorrect nonsense rendering to the screen. Whatever the
> reason for the lockup when zooming in, there's no time for us to
> investigate and correct this the "right" way (if indeed there is one)
> before our next release. If the problem turns out to be in GDI+ our
> hands are tied anyway. I think the spec should allow for implementations
> having to clamp currentScale.

The problem there is in trying to define a max for currentScale is that
the real max that you want is that of the highest coordinate or length
that will get multiplied by the scale. If you have a rect that has a
width that's eating up all your maximum precision the max currentScale
you want to set is likely to be 1. This is of course implementation
dependent, and there are ways to work around it, though I understand
that timing issues can make that impossible for you.

An implementation should probably be allowed to clamp there. I say
probably for two reasons: a) there's content out there that uses really
big coordinates (notably GIS content that might for instance place
objects so that 1u == 1 meter from long/lat 0,0) and you want to be able
to as far as possible handle that, and b) I really need to think further
when it comes to how the implementation should report this issue back to
script (suggestions welcome).

> I see, thanks. It might be worth a note in the errata and new specs that
> makes this explicit.

If it's not clear yes. Suggested text welcome! :)

> Those in control of the Firefox
> UI want us to use the controls already familiar to users for panning,
> namely scrollbars.

Imho, a bad idea. Scrollbars should occur when the width and height
attributes of the root 'svg' element are too big to fit a given area.
You scroll to show areas of the viewport that aren't otherwise visible.
Panning to content outside the viewport should imho be done with such UI
devices as Alt+drag. The two interaction concepts are separate and
mixing them doesn't seem to me to be appropriate.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist