Re: SVG12: IDL namespaces

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>>   In http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/svgudomidl.html
>> it is proposed that the SVG Working Group extends DOM namespaces in
>> apparently random ways, for example, the WheelEvent interface is to be
>> added to the events module. Please change the draft such that SVG-
>> specific features are in SVG-specific namespaces and non-SVG features
>> in their corresponding namespaces, e.g. the TimeEvent interfaces be-
>> longs to the ::smil:: namespace as defined in SMIL Animation and SVG
>> 1.1.
>
>The SVG WG currently owns DOM 3 Events, and therefore the events module,
>and are in the process of updating the current DOM 3 Events Note to
>match. The TimeEvent interface is not defined in any normative
>specification that is being maintained, and therefore we are adding it
>to the events module where it makes more sense than in the smil module
>(timing is not necessarily SMIL related, while events are always event
>related).

This does not satisfy me. Clearly, the various language bindings are
derived from the IDL module name so e.g. for Java the svg module is
mapped to org.w3c.dom.svg, the events module is mapped to org.w3c.dom.
events and the smil module is mapped to org.w3c.dom.smil. In SVG 1.1
and SMIL Animation the TimeEvent is org.w3c.dom.smil.TimeEvent, so
putting it into the events module would mean one of

  * redundant interfaces (both .smil.TimeEvent and .events.TimeEvent)
  * inconsistent IDL to binding mapping ("events" would map to "smil")
  * SVG 1.2 is incompatible with SVG 1.1 and SMIL

and "makes more sense" is not a sound technical justification for any
of these. SMIL Animation is also sufficiently normative and maintained
to reference it from other sections of the draft, so I stand by my
original request.