Re: sXBL: Unresolved Entities

* Peter Sorotokin wrote:
>I do not quite understand your point here, so let me try to clarify. Aren't
>we simply bound by general XML rules (that entity reference is always
>expanded when attribute value is obtained)? If entity reference is not
>expanded by parser (or inserted dynamically through DOM), it is treated
>simply as a text node.

XML 1.0 considers it a violation of the rules of the XML Recommendation
if an attribute value contains a reference to an entity for which no de-
claration has been read and thus allows processors to process documents
with such an error in any random way they choose. It is not clear which
component in this scenario violates the rules of the Recommendation, or
whether this newly introduced rule will stay, though. I am not aware of
other "general XML rules" that sXBL currently requires, maybe you can
cite the rules you mean and point out why you think these are currently
required?

>Perhaps there is something special about XBL that it must be clarified
>[...]

No, there is nothing special about sXBL here, but a number of formats
do define processing in some of the relevant cases, e.g. XHTML 1.0,

[...]
  If it encounters an entity reference (other than one of the entities
  defined in this recommendation or in the XML recommendation) for which
  the user agent has processed no declaration (which could happen if the
  declaration is in the external subset which the user agent hasn't
  read), the entity reference should be processed as the characters
  (starting with the ampersand and ending with the semi-colon) that make
  up the entity reference.
[...]