Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Grammatical errors

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Andrew Shellshear wrote:

> > "Normally stroking involves calculating stroke outline of the shape's
> > path in current user space and filling that outline with the stroke
> > paint (color or gradient)."
>
> I don't think it's *that* bad.

300 pages of English like that is literally headache inducing. Have you
never read the specification cover-to-cover?

> Can you suggest an alternative, please?

"Normally, 'stroking' involves calculating the stroke outline of the
shape's path in the current user space, and filling that outline with the
stroke paint (either a color or a gradient)."

> > As others have pointed out, there are also a large number of typos.
>
> There were certainly a couple of typos, but I didn't think there were
> very many. Did you catch any others?

I did not make notes of typos, as I am much more concerned about the
fundamental problems in the spec at the moment -- there is no point
reporting a typo when one is also requesting that the entire section be
rewritten. I would normally assume that the working group continuously
proof-reads its specification and will catch all the typos itself.

The number of typos I came across was noticable. I do no know if they are
limited to those that were reported.

> > Please conduct a thorough proof-reading of the specification to
> > correct the grammar and any typos.
>
> We've already done so, and we're sorry we missed a couple.

It is far, far more than a couple, especially in terms of grammar
(missing definite articles are a recurring problem throughout the
specification, especially in the new sections).

> However, I don't think the typos and grammar mistakes quoted so far are
> unusual for a document of this size and nature, and I don't think it's
> an embarrassment.

I beg to differ.