Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Behaviour of <a> pointing into same document outside SVG document fragment is not defined

On Saturday, December 10, 2005, 9:12:21 AM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:
>>
>> No, the spec lists all the reference restrictions, ie constraints, that
>> are placed on IRIS for those elements that make links of some sort. That
>> is why the secton has the title "14.1.3 Reference Restrictions".

IH> So there is no constraint put on any linking mechanism in the SVG spec
IH> preventing them from referring to elements in other SVG document fragments
IH> in the same document, or to elements outside the current SVG document
IH> fragment in the same document?

That isn't what I said, no. I did not say that there were no constraints
whatsoever. I said that the specific constraint you cited was not one
that any svg tiny 1.2 element had.

If an element is constrained to point into the current svg document
fragment it is constrained to constrained to point into the current svg
document fragment. Which means it cannot point outside the current svg
document fragment. That appears to be simple logic.

If an element can point to an random location then it can point to any
random location, which includes pointing to parts of the current
document, which includes those parts both inside and outside the current
svg document fragment.

>> However, I can see that you might have been misled by this text in the
>> second paragraph of that section
>>
>> "The following possibilities exist in SVG. A referencing element
>> supports one or more of these possibilities."
>>
>> This would be better as
>>
>> "The following reference restrictions exist in SVG. A referencing
>> element may be subject to one or more of these restrictions.

IH> That would certainly correct the factual inaccuracy of the spec (and would
IH> satisfy my request), but I do not believe it would result in a spec that
IH> says what you want it to say.

Okay, well we can certainly look at correcting that.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG