Re: 1.2 organizing multiple pages

Philippe,

On Mon 01 Sep 2003, Philippe Converset wrote:

> SVG 1.2 introduces multiple pages which truly fills a gap in the
> animation domain.
> It could be interesting to extend this feature a little bit in order to
> allow pages to be organized as chapters. This way a cartoon could be
> seen as a set of scenes contained in several chapters. If the user agent
> provides a method for choosing which page is the current page, having
> chapters with optional names will give a much easier way to navigate
> between scenes.

We had really long discussions about this, but in the end
decided that for SVG 1.2 it would be best to start with a simple
flat model for pages (no nesting). Yes, this potentially means
some extra overhead for the book/chapter/page scenario, but
not a great deal. The benefit is a simple processing model, which
definitely helps implementations. For example, if they are
displaying on screen, then they can cache one offscreen for
the page background, rather than many (+ extra compositing).

Sorry! It will be examined again during SVG 2.

Of course, like all things, feel free to disagree. It
would be good to hear more opinions. We'll listen.

Dean