Re: Request for path having child paths or being composed of point elements

Andy Bailey wrote:
> Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Which XSLT processor are you using? You could write a extension
>> function to manipulate path data. I think I have one for XML::LibXSLT
>> /somewhere/.
>
> I use xsltproc on linux and xalan (java1.4) on windows, but I'd prefer a
> standard way using xsl.

Both of those accept extensions. I understand your point however, porting
extensions to all systems would be unpleasant.

There's still the option of creating an XSLT library for SVG paths. It won't
look good, but once it's done anyone would be able to include it in their own
stylesheets and reuse it directly (regardless of the processor). The XSLT
Standard Library works like that.

>> As for the notion that the path syntax "breaks XML", I see what you
>> mean but it is not an isolated case. Take XPath for instance (since
>> you're talking about XSLT), it used to be in an XML syntax... aren't
>> we glad it was changed to its more sensical self?
>
> I think it all depends whether you want people to be able to process it
> with xsl, xpointer, xinclude etc.

With XSLT, see previous comment. With XPointer (and XIncludes using XPointers)
one could come up with an XPointer scheme to address individual path items (and
ranges of them). Yes, that means it hasn't been defined yet, but it also means
it could be done. XPointer was meant to be extensible.

>> I believe that the path syntax as it stands makes it much easier to
>> author (not everyone uses visual tools for that). It also helps
>> compact not only the file, more much more importantly the DOM, which
>> is quite important.
>
> I understand completely, but I still think it would be nice to have the
> option that the path can have child nodes, without taking away the  d
> attribute.

Have you looked at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG12/#rax ? I believe it could possibly
help you.

--