Re: systemLanguage title/desc

"Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org> wrote in message
news:18242922579.20030609033418@w3.org...

> On Sunday, June 8, 2003, 10:21:06 PM, Jim wrote:
>

> JL> Hi,
>
> JL> We can't use systemLanguage as a simple switch on title and desc
elements,

> Correct, because they are not part of the rendering tree.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#Conditional.attrib

Hmm, it's not part of the _normal_ rendering tree, however even SVG 1,1
suggests that title might be used as a tooltip, so it certainly has the
capacity to be rendered.

> I take it that you would like this restriction to be relaxed, to
> affect presentation of any sort regardless of whether it is SVG
> rendering.

Absolutely, it seems somewhat odd that we can have all the text in a
document regionalised, but the title has to stay in a single language?  I've
got a situation where I'm authoring some images, with no visible text, so I
obviously need the description and title to say the equivalent for
accessibility reasons, and that needs to be in multiple languages.

> For example, if there are three titles all in english, and
> your browser presents title elements as tooltips, does it display them
> all? The first one?

Since SVG does not mandate any such rendering of title, UA's are free to do
what they want... I think it's more important that we can title the document
in more than 1 language, rather than worrying what it should do in edge
conditions.

> Store multiple titles in metadata, each with xml:lang; use script to
> find out the users preferred language and if that exists, replace the
> title element with the correct language.

I would hope to do it without script.

Jim.