Re: systemLanguage title/desc

On Sunday, June 8, 2003, 10:21:06 PM, Jim wrote:

JL> Hi,

JL> We can't use systemLanguage as a simple switch on title and desc elements,

Correct, because they are not part of the rendering tree.
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#Conditional.attrib

I take it that you would like this restriction to be relaxed, to
affect presentation of any sort regardless of whether it is SVG
rendering.

JL> if I want to provide the title of the SVG document in different languages,
JL> how do I do it. It seems to me that

JL>  <switch systemLanguage="en">
JL>   <title>My SVG Doc</title>
JL>  </switch>

JL> Is titling the switch element and not the SVG document, which is
JL> semantically different. (Dean's svg2html also doesn't convert the above to a
JL> title element of <HTML> when it converts, unlike without the switch.

Yes. Other problems - you could not add a second title in there with a
different language, which would be the next step. The switch element
is most useful with two or more children ;-) with a single child it
offers no advantage over putting the test on the element itself
(assuming the dtd or schema allows that).

JL> Because of this limitation, I'd like to see the systemLanguage attribute
JL> appear on the title/desc in svg1.2.

This would also imply a change from title? to title* which is fine as
long as only one of them evaluates to true, but gives problems
otherwise. For example, if there are three titles all in english, and
your browser presents title elements as tooltips, does it display them
all? The first one?

JL>  I'd also like any suggestions of how I
JL> might achieve this with current docs.

Store multiple titles in metadata, each with xml:lang; use script to
find out the users preferred language and if that exists, replace the
title element with the correct language.