Re: SVG crosswordplayer first release!!

On Tue 2003-12-02 Jim Ley wrote:
> "Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The page looks interesting. Unfortunately I can't view the SVG:
> >
> > 1. Batik Squiggle says that the CSS has an error:
> >
> > 'The "top" identifier is not a valid value for the "text-anchor"
> > property.'
>
> This should not stop it rendering... if it does, the whole future of
> SVG is doomed,

I did not say that a viewer/player should be disallowd to try to
handle invalid SVGs, if that's what you thought I said.

> as we need to be able to down version content.  I also don't believe
> it should in any case, especially with CSS which is explicitly
> optional by design.

I didn't state any opinion, and I won't argue with you.

If you think Squiggle behaves incorrectly then the Squiggle developers
are the appropriate recipients.

> > crossword.svg:8: element svg: validity error : No declaration for
> > attribute onkeyup of element svg
> >     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>
> DTD validity is as we know, almost completely useless in the real
> world,

You are entitled to your own opinion, my experience teaches me a very
different opinion (I can't expect any predictable results if my doc is
invalid in relevant ways), but there's no need to start an offtopic
argument.

Please act according to your opinion and stick to your strategy (which
seems to involve invalid documents), I did not tell you otherwise.

> do you really expect an author to develop a custom DTD to meet
> validity constraints which even the WG don't believe are useful.

Where did I say that I would expect anyone to do anything?

There are pros and cons to both strategies, I didn't tell anyone to do
anything.

You're free to do what you want, as is the original poster, and you'll
have to respect that other people are free to do what they think is
sensible as well.

You seem to have heard me say lots of things I did not say, as so
often. I'll say it one last time: If you are so keen on
misunderstanding my posts and starting arguments by arguing against
statements I didn't express then please simply ignore my posts
instead, or I'll simply filter out yours.

We could agree to disagree, but that doesn't seem to be what you want.

> Neither of these things are the reason why it currently fails in
> Batik,

I get nothing but a huge error message popup with Squiggle, this
seemed to try to tell me that that's the reason why it doesn't display
the SVG.

I don't know what the reason is why it failed in Squiggle, and I
didn't and won't speculate about that. All I did was providing
feedback to the developer of the SVG by providing an error message by
Squiggle, error messages by a validator (invalidity is a potential
problem when a viewer fails, I won't argue about that fact), plus a
reference to the spec regarding the CSS error. I tried to help the
original poster, that's all.

> it's the reliance on ASV extensions that is doing it,

We agree that this is a problem.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/