Re: SVG crosswordplayer first release!!

"Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> wrote in message
news:20031202135733.GA3154@linux...
> > This should not stop it rendering... if it does, the whole future of
> > SVG is doomed,
>
> I did not say that a viewer/player should be disallowd to try to
> handle invalid SVGs, if that's what you thought I said.

Well, I took the context of "I can't view the SVG - here's a list of
problems" to imply that those errors were the reason you couldn't view it.
I even believe that was L's interpretation, but I could be wrong on that of
course.

> If you think Squiggle behaves incorrectly then the Squiggle developers
> are the appropriate recipients.

I don't believe it does, it doesn't stop rendering, and whilst I think the
default of even displaying the warning is the wrong one, but Squiggle is
mostly an example application for the excellent renderer it's not something
to worry about.

> > DTD validity is as we know, almost completely useless in the real
> > world,
>
> You are entitled to your own opinion, my experience teaches me a very
> different opinion (I can't expect any predictable results if my doc is
> invalid in relevant ways), but there's no need to start an offtopic
> argument.

Relevant ways being the problem DTD validity of SVG doesn't solve those
problems, we need to include non SVG elements to make our content
accessible, to assert our copyright claims etc.  To render custom content -
some our of course more relevant to 1.2, but lots of it we've been doing in
1.0 and before - See Chaals's original SVG accessibility resource which was
one of my first introductions to the language, despite the importance of
validity, the accessibility is more important.

DTD validity is the problem, not validity.  DTD's aren't rich enough for
mixed namespace XML, there are other mechanisms available.

> You're free to do what you want, as is the original poster, and you'll
> have to respect that other people are free to do what they think is
> sensible as well.

Of course, I was just asking for clarification of what exactly you meant,
given that key events are a requirement for a crossword player and there's
no SVG dtd available that contains them, do you expect L to produce a custom
DTD specifically to address the attribute?  Don't you think that's rather a
waste of time considering the value it would give?

I'm sure it's easy to get L's player working in Batik, as Thomas notes, it
won't be much effort, if I was anywhere near my real machines I would
probably have already checked it out.

Jim.