Re: SVG crosswordplayer first release!!

Jim Ley wrote:

> "Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> wrote in message
>
>>The page looks interesting. Unfortunately I can't view the SVG:
>>
>>1. Batik Squiggle says that the CSS has an error:
>>
>>'The "top" identifier is not a valid value for the "text-anchor"
>> property.'
>
> This should not stop it rendering... if it does, the whole future of SVG is
> doomed, as we need to be able to down version content.  I also don't believe
> it should in any case, especially with CSS which is explicitly optional by
> design.

    Recent version of Batik now only produce a warning and continues
to display the document.

>>crossword.svg:8: element svg: validity error : No declaration for
>> attribute onkeyup of element svg
>
> DTD validity is as we know, almost completely useless in the real world, do
> you really expect an author to develop a custom DTD to meet validity
> constraints which even the WG don't believe are useful.

    DTD validation is optional, and most "real world" content won't
pass it.

> Neither of these things are the reason why it currently fails in Batik, it's
> the reliance on ASV extensions that is doing it, and creating a valid
> document whilst still using key events just leads to extra indirection for
> little benefit.

    Actually the dependencies on ASV extensions appear to be minimal.
I found only four additional issues (one might be Batik's).

   1) parseXML w/o a document
   2) getDocumentElement on the return value from parseXML.
   3) The viewBox on the crossword square 'svg' used '3em'
      it should be just '3'.
   4) The CSS for text.clue's uses .3em - to get this right I have
      to use .09em in Batik.  This may indicate that Batik is using
      the wrong base value to calculate em sizes in this case
     (.3*.3 = 0.9 so if one of the parent elements has
     font-size=".3em" and Batik misses it then you might see
     this issue).

   Also the coordinate systems for some things seem to be messed up.
   All in all very good given the amount of JavaScript/CSS/SVG in the
   file!