Re: [svg-developers] scrollbars in SVG

In a message dated 10/04/2003 22:09:26 GMT Daylight Time, chris@w3.org
writes:

> sv> Why am I not getting scrollbars
>
> Because that is not the only scrolling mechanism.

Chris,

Which other scrolling mechanisms are provided?

Panning is not scrolling.

You can still > scroll, and furthermore you can scroll in any direction you
> want
> without trying to manipulate two scrollbars at once, like an
> etch-a-sketch.
>
> However, enough people have either complained about this, or been
> confused by it, or limited their solution to html plugins only solely
> to get scriollbars, that some sort of styling control over the panning
> method seems desirable. Thoughts?

Chris,

Thoughts?

Quite straightforward in my view - SVG should provide scroll bars for use
where it is desired / appropriate. Omitting them was a major faux pas in my
view.

The omission of automatic scroll bars in a desktop environment removes,
wholly unnecessarily, a useful and powerful navigation metaphor in standalone
SVG. If, as I understand it, some users wish not to have scroll bars (I don't
recall having heard a convincing argument for that position) then by all
means provide a switch to turn them off.

Please, please, please fix this omission!

Andrew Watt