Re: 1.2 feedback: Streaming

"Vadim Plessky" <plessky@cnt.ru> wrote in message
news:200211221856.08327.plessky@cnt.ru...

> On Friday 22 November 2002 1:08 am, John Hayman wrote:
> I was studing PDA market (which has much bigger screen than mobile
phone), and
> found that browsing web with PDA is not a very convinient task.
> And that's what people were telling me, so it's not only my experience.
>
> I also interviewed several top managers - "how do you perceive getting
> Internet/web content via mobile phone", and "what applications for
mobile
> phone you are interested in"
> And do you know what was the answer?
> "I use mobile phone to make calls, period."

Was that asked in global marketplace or some regional one, I can't be
bothered to dig through PPT files or the audio (maybe I should index
showcaster content better), but a recent conference I attended was
suggesting that data revenues were 20 or 30% of ARPU IIRC.  Certainly SMS
usage for a lot of people in the UK and IT is more important than the
call.

Certainly accessing websites via mobile phones is only 3% of mobile phone
consumers in FR, DE, UK, (but then accessing the internet at all is <50%
of mobile phone owners) emails are 5%, sms games is 15%, travel
information 4% *, there's lots of data use on mobile phones, the lack of
existing use has a lot to do with poor usability, not a lack of desire.

Then of course we look into Japan and South Korea etc. where data
services make up an even larger proportion of their revenues, and include
web use, and a lot of it.  Yes it's regional but don't assume your
regional mobile use reflects world wide use.

One of the problems for content providers is the cost of delivery, here
in the UK a text SMS will cost ~3.5p to deliver (interconnect rate is 3p
so that's bare minimum) but an MMS is many, many times that, this is of
course motivating WAP, you don't browse with WAP, what you do is recieve
a text SMS, which provides a WAP link, it keeps the cost down, WAP
browsing may be dead, WAP protocol isn't.

Of course I'm also pessimistic for SVG on mobile in the short term, I've
seen Real streaming video to a handset (well actually not streaming but a
demo) and I've seen java, but I've yet to see any SVG content interest,
but that's because we've not got the handsets yet.

> |  But it needs
> |  - ubiquity (there are more than a few would-be implementers of
SVG-Mobile
> | out there) - fast download (well, we'll see)
> |  - compelling content (animations are **KEY**)

I don't agree that animations are a compelling content in the mobile
sphere, but I also don't believe SVG has much benefit in the mobile
sphere if it's static, the bandwidth savings aren't great - if any, all
you get is the size independance, and CC/PP (or similar old) provide
enough to tailor specific rasters for each device.

Jim.

* figures from GartnerG2.