Re: 1.2 feedback: Streaming

On Friday 22 November 2002 1:08 am, John Hayman wrote:
|  That assumes SVG's only place is as a browser plug-in on desktop machines.
|
|  Where (hopefully) SVG will take off is in the Mobile space where there is
| no clear market leader for animations. And (after the success of SMS
| messaging) there is much motivation to come up with a standard for sending
| multi-media from one handset wirelessly to another.  Preferably something
| that is non-proprietary.  SVG sounds as good as anything else out there
| (and a lot better than most).

I was studing PDA market (which has much bigger screen than mobile phone), and
found that browsing web with PDA is not a very convinient task.
And that's what people were telling me, so it's not only my experience.

I also interviewed several top managers - "how do you perceive getting
Internet/web content via mobile phone", and "what applications for mobile
phone you are interested in"
And do you know what was the answer?
"I use mobile phone to make calls, period."

So we can discuss applications (like you mentioned) theoretically, but that's
not what consumers are inetrested in.

At the same time, recation of different kind of people to, say, SVG icons is
quite positive.  It seems using SVG for UI elements is indeed good idea.
"Right tool for the right task".

|  But it needs
|  - ubiquity (there are more than a few would-be implementers of SVG-Mobile
| out there) - fast download (well, we'll see)
|  - compelling content (animations are **KEY**)

And *who* will develop those animations?
*Who* will develop *development tools* for graphics artists?
Too many questions, and no answers...

|  > |
|  > |  > > There are many possible uses for streaming, e.g.:
|  > |  > > * "movies" - this is probably the biggest area for Flash right
|  > |  > > now. Could be
|  > |  > > animated instructions, feature walk-throughs, intros
|  >
|  > and much more.
|  >
|  > |  > > Streaming makes it possible to have a >100kb movie that still
|  > |  > > plays without
|  > |  > > a long waiting time. I think this is the most important case.
|  > |  >
|  > |  > A Jon said, I don't think this is the market place for SVG.
|  > |

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky