Re: Tinier SVG

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> Yes, all that stuff is still in there. It was not designed by SVG
> authors so much as by SVG implementors, particularly some big names in

Implementors usually don't have accessibility in mind, but rather adding
more gimmicks to sell on fashion.  It's relatively easy to create
freeware convertors from existing static vector formats to SVG, or
additional file export modules for commercial products, so the
real business for the suppliers is in authoring tools that support the
more sophisticated features, like animation.

I've had a long standing impression that HTML is resisting commercial
interests whereas SVG is pandering to them.

> the Mobile industry. So, clearly, they think the features both have
> value and are implementable.

The mobile industry, in particular, has an interest in encouraging
new types of communication with increasing bandwidth requirements.

> Animation is seen as a key requirement, even for Tiny - static
> graphics are not too interesting for cellphones.

If the minimum profile has animation, there is definitely a need for
a smaller profile.  From my point of view, when I first heard of
SVG, it made sense as a filling a long standing gap by allowing line
drawings to be represented properly on web pages, but it is being driven
by a desire to compete with Flash.  People have argued that it has
applications that Flash is not used for, but I think that mainly
reflects that Flash is known to decision makers, who use it for
Flash intros, etc., whereas SVG is more known to technicians.  Maps
were once used as an example of non-cosmetic SVG, but I've seen
German street maps in Flash.