Re: Tinier SVG

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, 8:06:13 AM, David wrote:

DW> Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

>> the Mobile industry. So, clearly, they think the features both have
>> value and are implementable.

DW> The mobile industry, in particular, has an interest in encouraging
DW> new types of communication with increasing bandwidth requirements.

That depends on their charging model. Some want to sell more packets
and some want to use as little free/fixed monthly cost packets as
possible.

>> Animation is seen as a key requirement, even for Tiny - static
>> graphics are not too interesting for cellphones.

DW> If the minimum profile has animation, there is definitely a need for
DW> a smaller profile.

That is what I thought too, before thinking about it some more.

DW> From my point of view, when I first heard of SVG, it made sense as
DW> a filling a long standing gap by allowing line drawings to be
DW> represented properly on web pages,

Yes. It can do that.

DW> but it is being driven by a desire to compete with Flash.

Partly.  Its also the case that the smaller the display area, the
harder it is to convey the same information and thus, the more that
dynamic features are useful. So line drawings that can display or hide
detail, link to other parts, etc are more useful than a static,
printout-like drawing. But you can still do the 'keyhole view of a
printout' if you want to.

DW>  People have argued that it has
DW> applications that Flash is not used for,

Yes, it certainly does.

DW> but I think that mainly reflects that Flash is known to decision
DW> makers, who use it for Flash intros, etc., whereas SVG is more
DW> known to technicians. Maps were once used as an example of
DW> non-cosmetic SVG, but I've seen German street maps in Flash.

Yes, some things that can be done in SVG can be done (with more effort
and more proprietary software) in Flash. I don't see the link to the
feature set of SVG Tiny, though.