Re: validating from the commandline

Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> wrote:

> what do you use for validating XML/SVG documents?
>
> URLs and tips for good commandline utilities are appreciated.
> I'm on Windows. Java is OK, but it should de fast.
> DTD is sufficient, though XSD would be great in addition.

If you can accept the known limitations, James Clark's SP (nsgmls)
is a good old tool, and fast enough.  Windows binary is also available
from:

    http://www.jclark.com/sp/

Be sure to check its known limitations on XML support at:

    http://www.jclark.com/sp/xml.htm

Xerces-J is not so fast compared to Xerces-C, but it's reportedly
one of the best validating XML processor in terms conformance.
It supports XML Schema, too.

    http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/

Crimson is faster among Java-based validating XML processors.

    http://xml.apache.org/crimson/

Sun's Multi-Schema XML Validator (MSV) is an interesting tool if
you want to use several schemas.  In addition to DTD and a subset
of XML Schema, it also supports RELAX Core, RELAX Namespace, TREX,
and RELAX NG.  Written in Java.

    http://www.sun.com/software/xml/developers/multischema/

There's a couple of others, but some of them are less conformant to
the XML 1.0 spec.  SVG 1.0 DTD is rather simple, so it would work
fine with many parsers, but if you use complex modular DTD, you could
run into trouble.  An old but still useful report on "Conformance
Testing for XML Processors" is at:

    http://www.xml.com/pub/a/1999/09/conformance/

You may find a list of XML parsers at:

    http://www.xml.com/pub/rg/XML_Parsers

> ((how) can I scroll inside Window's "DOS prompt?")).

"M-x shell-command" on Emacs ;-)

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org