Re: Text in SVG 1.1

On Thursday, January 10, 2002, 12:59:48 PM, Dean wrote:

DJ> Only subscribers may post.

DJ> Dean (always happy to forward positive feedback :)

DJ> ----- Forwarded message from Antoine Quint <aquint@ilog.fr> -----

DJ> Hey there,

DJ> Started to read through SVG 1.1. This is looking good...

DJ> At http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-SVG11-20020108/#id5191469: "The SVG user
DJ> agent will position the text based on the properties, not the elements
DJ> or their tag names."

DJ> If this is what I what I think it would do then I really like it. Does
DJ> this mean that a user agent should implement the CSS block model?
DJ> Thanks,

DJ> ----- End forwarded message -----

Thats right. And given an SVG font so that the outlines, glyph metrics
and kerning are known, all SVG user agents should deliver the same
pixel-precise identical rendering (because this is text as part of a
graphic, and surrounding, overlying or underlying graphical elements
have to match up precisely.

It also means that instead of not displaying unknown
elements, which is what SVG does when it finds them in a graphics
rendering context, it reders them according to the value of the CSS
display property (which is what XML+CSS text-oriented rendering
environments generally do).

Further discussion on the text flow (and other aspects of SVG 1.1 such
as solidColor) is welcomed.