RE: Changing the Y axis

R> This would really be an improvement in my life. The inability to
R> select the axis direction seems to be such a basic shortcoming for
R> a vector-based drawing system. It would be really nice if the coord
R> system could be defined along two axes on a drawing. It would be
R> even better if the axes were not necessarily orthogonal, but could
R> be defined in skew (say defined by two vectors on the page?)

   I might point out that all you have done here is just described
what the Affine Transform currently does (including the skew bit).
The real problem here is that you want one coordinate system for your
data (y up) and a 'different' coordinate system for your text
(i.e. "up" on the page should be up for the text).

   This is the real change we are investigating for later versions of
SVG.