Re: Another font name question

"Yardumian, Rick" wrote:

> While we're on the subject of font names, should a conforming SVG viewer
> handle a font name that includes a style like Bold or Italic? Given this g
> element, (forget about the single quotes around the font name for now)
>
> <g style"font-family:Times New Roman Bold">
>
> the IBM viewer selects Times Roman Bold. Is this proper SVG behavior

No, and has been reported to IBM as an error already. There is no font
present in that font family.

> or must
> the Bold and Italic requests be handled via font-weight and font-style
> attributes?

Yes, exactly. The whole concept of a font family is that it has more than
one member. In addition, there is no consistency in the terms used in a
full font name so introspecting from the full font name and attempting to
figure out what the font-style, font-weight, etc properties are is fraught
with difficulty. This is why, in CSS1 and CS2 and XSL and SVG, these are
separate properties.

--
Chris