Re: Storing data related to SVG elements

Dany,
This sounds like metadata to me.

Check out the Metadata chapter in the spec for some initial guidelines. This
chapter is very sketchy. The SVG working group will be publishing a meatier
document later this year which provides more detailed guidelines for using
metadata in conjunction with SVG, but unfortunately the document is not
available at this time.

The key concept is to just define an XML namespace for the metadata using the
'xmlns' attribute (see the XML Namespace recommendation at
http://www.w3.org/TR), put all of your extra information in that namespace,
and
then access that information from the XML DOM. (You'll need DOM2 in order to
access data based on namespace.)

There are already existing XML grammars for metadata in case these prove
suitable. The W3C has developed RDF (again, see http://www.w3.org/TR) as a
general way of packaging metadata. Another initiative is Topic Maps in XML,
but
will prove very valuable for many scenarios, but I don't know how far along
that initiative is at this point, and I don't have a URL.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated