SVG WG discussed: Behavior on invalid mask, clipPath or filter

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 02:50:59 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi CSS WG members,

The SVG WG discussed https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/130: How should UAs behave on invalid mask, clipPath or filter? As invalid, the WG looked at mask, clipPath or filter
* having no content
* having only child elements that do not follow the content model
* having child elements that partly follow and not follow the content model
* mask, clip-path, filter with missing/invalid URLs or not-yet available resources
* circular dependencies

Upfront I tested Edge, Firefox, Safari and Chrome and compared the different results: https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/130#issuecomment-390981529

The SVG WG suggests that the CSS WG resolves on the following rules (https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/130#issuecomment-532981392):
• For clipping and masking, we follow the behavior of Edge, WebKit, and Blink in the https://github.com/w3c/fxtf-drafts/issues/130#issuecomment-390981529 table
• If a referenced filter is missing or invalid, the side effects like stacking context are still preserved.

Unless there are concerns to those suggestions we don’t need to bring this up in a call on the CSS WG. In this case it would be great if we could use the async resolution process with an appropriate period to review the issue. @Alan, @Rossen?

Thanks,
Dirk