Re: CSS-4 and min|max-device-width

On 01/08/2018 12:31 PM, Alice Wonder wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir
>> <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com> wrote:

>>> I believe that having a media query that determines width while ignoring
>>> zoom level would also be a useful feature for CSS4
>>> font-variation-settings
>>> property. If a website content is presented with a specific font
>>> variation
>>> feature set based on a particular width, you wouldn’t want that
>>> setting to
>>> be changing based on zoom level, and risk having the text content be
>>> re-rendered and reflow because of it. People often zoom in to make text
>>> easier to read, but you'd want to preserve the original layout at the
>>> same
>>> time.
>>
>> Note the *very important* distinction between browser zoom (which
>> affect the device-* queries) and pinch-zoom, which does not.
>
> I'm sure that difference means a lot to the person who needs to press
> Ctrl-Plus to make the web page a little bigger in order to see something
> because their eyes are not as a good as the designer's eyes and they are
> not using a touch-screen that allows a pinch zoom.

Perhaps rather than get rid of device-width instead it should be clear
that browsers *may* respond with viewport width instead of device-width.

That would allow users to set a preference for how they want the browser
to respond.

Users like me who don't want basic layout to change could have a
preference set to use the static device-width that doesn't change, and
webmasters that want to accomodate users like me can continue using
device-width in their layout breakpoints - while users who want the
layout to change can simply have a preference set that makes
device-width an alias for viewport width.

Most sites currently don't use device-width that I have seen, but the
sites that do behave better for me - and it is easier for me to make my
own sites behave better for me with device-width - which is why I like
it so much and don't want to see that go away.