Re: CSS property for visually hiding an element

On 05/03/2017 11:32 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:

 > On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Oliver Joseph Ash <oliverjash@gmail.com <mailto:oliverjash@gmail.com>> wrote:
 >
 > > The consensus seems to be that this is a sensible idea.
 > > How do I push this forward? I'm happy to champion it,
 > > but I don't know where to start.
 >
 > While this sounds like something totally for CSSWG, I think
 > there is an argument to incubate this idea in the broader
 > community... Here's why: Do the use cases actually argue
 > for a CSS property or an HTML attribute, maybe just with a
 > default UA style with gross specificity or something?  I'm
 > not sure really. other but generally the practice of
 > toggling a class seem to be more or less "how we've done
 > it" and making it a property kind of seems to change the
 > equation - it seems like a 'simple' way to achieve the same,
 > but I'm not sure it follows that it is actually paving the
 > cowpath.  Have any preprocessors added a thing like this to
 >  shorthand it as a property, for example?  That would be
 > interesting to know.

Even if this ends up with a markup switch as well, it would
still need to be implemented through a CSS mechanism. Current
hacks shove things off screen: they're why the Web platform is
unable to scroll to the top/left of the canvas origin.

The current proposal is, I think, to use the 'speak' property
for this. Doing something else would require an alternate
proposal and justifications for the difference.

Use cases would be helpful in any case. For example, there's
been a proposal to split 'display' into two longhands: one
for the box type, another for "display or not"; use cases
would help us understand how this feature needs to interact
with that proposal and/or the 'speak' property.

Further discussion is at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/560 fwiw.

~fantasai