Re: [css-writing-modes] Vertical upright Mongolian intrinsic orientation

Le 2017-05-02 16:05, fantasai a écrit :
> On 01/10/2017 06:31 AM, Kari Pihkala wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m trying to figure out what is the correct way to render traditional
>> Mongolian text in upright text-orientation.
>>
>> The Writing Modes 3 spec says: “Typographic character units from
>> vertical scripts are typeset with their intrinsic
>> orientation” [1].
>>
>> Mongolian is listed as a vertical script with a vertical intrinsic
>> direction (ttb) [2].
>>
>> Here’s my test case: https://jsfiddle.net/9o1wazj2
>>
>> I tried it in Chrome55 and Firefox50 on Mac/Windows10 (on Mac 10.12,
>> the default font didn’t display any text orientation
>> correctly, so I had to install the Mongolian White font [3]).
>>
>> The mixed and sideways Mongolian texts are rendered correctly, but the
>> upright text isn’t. Does it mean that browsers are
>> typesetting Mongolian upright text wrong?
>
> If it's typesetting correctly in mixed orientation, but not upright,
> it's a browser bug.

Elika,

I am confused by last sentence of next-to-last paragraph of section 5.0:

"
Scripts with a native vertical orientation have an intrinsic
bi-orientational transform, which orients them correctly in vertical
text: most CJK (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) characters translate, that is,
they are always upright. **Characters from other scripts, such as
Mongolian, rotate.**
"
5. Introduction to Vertical Text Layout
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#intro-text-layout
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-writing-modes-3/#intro-text-layout

If Mongolian is known to be a vertical-only, vertical native orientation
script, then I think the sentence between the pair of ** should be
removed, otherwise corrected.

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/s51-text-orientation-Mongolian-upright-002.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/s51-text-orientation-Mongolian-upright-002-ref.xht

Gérard