Re: [css-logical-props] resolving against parent's writing mode properties

> fantasai:
>> Ideally, I think you'd want to compute margins and borders against the
>> containing block, since an English article and a Japanese article in
>> the exact same location in a layout should have the same margins and
>> borders; whether you have top/bottom borders or right/left borders
>> (if you picked only a pair) would usually depend on the context, not
>> the contents. Certainly the abspos offsets would depend on the context,
>> not the contents, of the abspos element.
>
> I also was thinking that it would make more sense – at least for the
> offset-* properties, if you’re placing an element in a position:absolute
> context – for them to be relative to the containing block.
>
>> But I'm not sure what's ideal for padding, and containing block relations
>> are maybe not so clear when you're in the middle of cascading, and it's
>> probably easier for people to remember to just only check the element's
>> own properties. It will mean that many use cases will involve wrapper
>> elements, though.
>
> I agree; let’s leave this simpler rule.
>
>>> Also, the spec should define what happens when you use one of these
>>> logical properties on the root element.
>>
>> The root element propagates direction/writing-mode to the initial
>> containing block.
>
> [Moot now, but:]  So this means that the root element would end up using
> the initial containing block’s writing mode property values to its
> logical properties (i.e., it would use the same writing mode values that
> are on the root element itself).

Just to follow up, there was another thread from zcorpan here:
   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016May/0098.html
which resulted in the following CSSWG resolution to map only using
the element's own writing mode (as in this thread, above):
   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Jun/0019.html
(A key argument was that this is how lists behave today in the default
UA style sheet.) This is now folded into the spec.

~fantasai