Re: CSS property for visually hiding an element

From: Patrick Dark <www-style.at.w3.org@patrick.dark.name>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 22:17:07 -0500
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: David Woolley "<forums@david-woolley.me.uk>;" Oliver Joseph Ash "<oliverjash@gmail.com>;" "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
François REMY 於 4/4/2017 12:17 PM 寫道:
> Aural stylesheets are not used for screen readers, and screen still applies.
>
> As the name implies, a screen reader reads the screen.

That isn't the implication I get out of CSS2.2¹ and CSS1 Speech²:

"The aural rendering of a document, already commonly used by the blind
and print-impaired communities, combines speech synthesis and 'auditory
icons." Often such aural presentation occurs by converting the document
to plain text and feeding this to a screen reader -- software or
hardware that simply reads all the characters on the screen. [...]"

"The aural presentation of information is commonly used by people who
are blind, visually-impaired or otherwise print-disabled. For instance,
"screen readers" allow users to interact with visual interfaces that
would otherwise be inaccessible to them. [...]

"The CSS properties defined in the Speech module enable authors to
declaratively control the presentation of a document in the aural
dimension. [...]"

Seems like some rewording is in order. I'd suggest something to the
point like "Aural/speech stylesheets are inapplicable to screen readers."

¹ https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS22/aural.html#aural-intro
² https://drafts.csswg.org/css-speech-1/#intro